Prolong Your Dog's Life
Star Meadow Animal Clinic provides a full range of preventive care services to help your dog live a longer, happier life and to increase the odds of detecting problems early, before they become severe and costly.
Our veterinarians make their annual preventative care recommendations based on the guidelines established by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) and American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA). We then customize our recommendations based on your dog's hereditary factors, age, medical history, exposure potential and lifestyle.
Annual preventive care for dogs typically includes:
- At least one annual Comprehensive Physical Examination at which time our veterinarians will take a complete medical history, make nutritional recommendations, assess behavior, and review any known medical conditions. During the exam our doctors will perform a:
- Vital Check (Temperature, Pulse and Respiration)
- Complete Otoscopic (Ear) and Ocular (Eye) Examinations
- Cardiopulmonary (Heart and Lung) Evaluation
- Abdominal Exam and Palpation
- Dental Exam
- Dermatological Exam
- Musculoskeletal Evaluation and Orthopedic Evaluation
- Prostatic Examination (for Males)
- Lymphatic System Evaluation
- Body Condition Score (BMI) Evaluation with Diet/Caloric Recommendations
- Vaccines based on your dog's lifestyle and/or breed. Core Vaccines include Rabies and Distemper. Our veterinarians may also recommend additional vaccines such as Lyme, Bordetella (Kennel Cough) and Leptospirosis. Vaccination schedules are tailored to your individual pet's lifestyle, exposure potential, size, health and age.
- Parasite Control Products to control parasites such as heartworms, intestinal parasites, fleas and ticks. We recommend year-round monthly preventatives such as Frontline, Sentinel and Revolution. Star Meadow also offers Scalibor collars and Heartgard. Controlling these parasites helps protect your dog and your family members from easily transmitted parasites.
- Annual Comprehensive Diagnostic Testing is completed to confirm the absence of heartworms or other internal parasites and early disease. These tests help to identify any internal issues which cannot be detected during a thorough physical exam.
- Your veterinarian will also discuss other services, such as dental care, laser therapy and microchipping that will benefit your dog’s overall health and wellbeing and advise you on any questions you might have regarding you dogs health.